Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

More on the NY Jewish Week

Steven I. over at Canonist has gotten his hands on a letter sent out by the NY Jewish Week to elected officials in New York, asking for written endorsements of their paper by these officials. From the letter:
Because you are a vitally concerned leader involved in the well being of all New Yorkers, as well as an individual who has lent supporters on issues affecting the Jewish community, I have a request.
We are currently creative informative materials to tell subscribers and advertisers more about The Jewish Week and your support would be of tremendous importance to us.
Could you take a moment to share your impressions of the paper with us? We would be honored to include your comments — along with the others received — in these promotional efforts. I have included a recent issue of the paper as well as a copy of Directions, our Annual Guide to Jewish Life In New York.
This whole idea would seem ridiculous, if it didn't stink so badly. I understand newspapers endorsing elected officials, but the reverse? What, pray tell, does the elected official receive in exchange for his kind words about the publication? Gary Rosenblatt sparing him the miserable treatment he usually reserves for a select group of whipping boys? Rosenblatt's promise not to try to ruin the cooperating elected official's career or chances of reelection by promising not to publish article after article that establishes facts out of the whole cloth of innuendo and anonymous allegations? Sound like it's all in a day's work for the NYJW.

14 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

What's with the Canonist obsession?

10:38 AM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

sorry. This is a B.S. issue. Marketing materials need to name drop. It starts and ends there. no controversy at all.

10:41 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Steven I. Weiss was the founder of the original Jewish blog, Protocols. I never went more than a couple of hours without checking Protocols when it was in it's heyday. Canonist was down for about a month, and I missed Weiss's incisive reporting and blogging. He has a knack for getting to some good stories that always interest me. I'm glad to see his site back up.

10:46 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Yeah, but SW, this isn't marketing material for a new soft drink or music album. It's a NEWSPAPER. That sees itself as a hard-hitting, unbiased source for the latest news. This gives the appearance of a quid pro quo.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Mississippi Fred MacDowell said...

Someone said that the J blogosphere could probably bait Gary Rosenblatt and have some nasty fun with him. By jove, I think that might be true.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like the idea of this either. What does the endorser get in return? Preferential treatment? I don't think it's outrageous, but I think it's stupid of Rosenblatt b/c it looks so damn bad.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, OM. They are asking for endorsements from the very people they are covering. What makes this even more rediculous is Rosenblatt's sanctinomiousness (is that a word OM?) regarding these very same issues in his reporting.

11:05 AM  
Blogger DovBear said...

Speaking of endorsments, what's Wise paying you?

And now that protocols is dead, I invite you to check my blog every hour. We'll leave the light on for you.

1:37 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

" Speaking of endorsments, what's Wise paying you?"

LOL.

"And now that protocols is dead, I invite you to check my blog every hour. We'll leave the light on for you."

Oh, but I do, DB.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This stinks. Or is a really stupid move. Choose one.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krum, I believe the word is sanctimony. And ridiculous is spelled with no "e". Orthomom is absolutely correct. Rosenblatt is a fraud and most people already know this.I am not surprised at all by this information, but thank you Steven I., for bringing it to our attention. Oh, and welcome back.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it on this blog that I read something about The Jewish Week having to pay some sort of a huge government fine for violating something or other? Does anybody know anything about this? I cant remember where I read it.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree it's a sleazy move, but as someone who's new to your blogs and others like it, I'm much more interested in knowing which incidents prompted your characerization of the JW (and GR in particular) as prone to "publish article after article that establishes facts out of the whole cloth of innuendo and anonymous allegations."

2:24 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Here is one post I've put up, other blogs have criticized him in the past for his shoddy reporting well before I got here.
orthomom.blogspot.com/2005/06/mr-pot-calling-kettle.html

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home