Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Few Purim Points

A few little Purim tidbits:

1. I just heard that there was a Hatzalah call at a local boys' yeshiva during their Purim Mesiba last night. It was a high school boy who passed out, after vomiting copiously, obviously having had far too much to drink. And in my opinion, before the legal drinking age, "too much to drink" means any at all. Not to mention the fact that any Rav will tell you that there is no Mitzvah to drink on the night of Purim, just the day. Scary stuff, and makes me hope and pray that things change a great deal by the time my kids grow up.

2. Listen, I hate being relegated to a "women's" anything just as much as the next person. But the reason they have women's readings that are after the main reading is so that women can then leave their screaming-whining-toddlers-who-have-no-business-completely-disrupting-the-Megilla-reading-for-everyone-in-the-room at home with their husbands when their husbands return home from the main reading. I even understand giving the main reading a shot and bringing your child, if you have every intention to give up, leave, and wait for the women's reading when your child starts shrieking for his father while banging his bottle on the back of a metal chair and making a loud clanging sound so that the people sitting near you need to get up and change seats in the middle of the reading. Just a thought.

3. The Shalach Manot this year? I am happy to report that things have been scaled back in certain pockets of the community. I received a bunch of packages sold by Tzedakah organizations, a few cards that said a donation was made in lieu of an actual package, and many were cheap but cheerful (like the Orthofamily's). More than a few declared last night at Megilla reading that they will not be giving to those people that they put on the list for the shul'd Shalach Manot. We still received plenty of extravagances, though, and one actually contained a $30 bottle of wine. I must admit that Orthodad is looking forward to drinking it at the Seudah (which I should really get my act together for).

More later, maybe.

Simchat Purim!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious: do they bang for וַיָּשֶׂם הַמֶּלֶךְ אחשרש (אֲחַשְׁוֵרֹשׁ) מַס עַל-הָאָרֶץ, וְאִיֵּי הַיָּם. in the Five Towns as well?

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got an adorable package wrapped in a 3-year-old's painting!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just curious: do they bang for וַיָּשֶׂם הַמֶּלֶךְ אחשרש (אֲחַשְׁוֵרֹשׁ) מַס עַל-הָאָרֶץ, וְאִיֵּי הַיָּם. in the Five Towns as well?

LOL. Not only do they bang but they lein it in the "eicha" tune.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Orthonomics said...

One of the places I do not want my kids at on Purim is a Yeshiva. It is absolutely criminal that there is no (sober and responsible) supervision and that inevitably an ambulance needs to be called.

9:52 PM  
Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

re: mesiba - my father used to drive me and told me I could stay for an hour and that he'd wait in the parked car for me.

re: megillah reading - not only are there multiple megillah readings in shul, there are plenty of readings in people's home as well. your post could easily be repurposed for use during tekias shofar as well, shabbos zachor, etc.

re: mishloach manos - we also got a wide range, including one with a nice bottle of godiva liquor. But I can't tell you how many nanny's I gave shalach manos to this year... :)

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home