Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Suing over Shabbat?

A group of South African students is threatening to sue El Al airlines over their flight from Israel that arrived in South Africa too close to Shabbat. The group, returning from a March of the Living trip, had originally planned to arrive two hours before Shabbat, but the flight was delayed due to a plumbing problem.

So run that by me again. The group is considering legal action because the flight that they booked that they knew was arriving with an almost razor-thin margin of time until Shabbat, instead was unavoidably delayed for 40 minutes, and left them with an even more razor-thin margin.

Zev Krengel, chairman of the Jewish Board of Deputies in Johannesburg said about the airline: "They've got no respect for Shabbat." Talk about a pot and a kettle.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Though I travel for business, I make it my pratice never to fly close to shabbos. Delays are just a fact of air travel.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me k'mocha am yisroel.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I thought we only had rediculous law suits in America.

How do you put a monetary value on breaking Shabbos, especially when the people chose not to stay in the airport over shabbos but drive home.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

If anything, I'd sue over the minyanim that are help with absolutely no considerationto all those sitting in the back.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I'm with JPT. The last time we flew to Israel we were in the back row of the plane. I told my wife if she wanted to get rid of those minyan people who were bumping up against her that all she had to was take off her snood and show a little cleavage.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Air: You probably could have taken off your shirt with the same result!

(and I'm SO tempted to put in a 'smiley face', but I'm behaving for SW.)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Perhaps, in addition to spreading democracy around the world, the leaders of this great nation should begin discussing spreading tort reform around the world, too!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rabbi yakov Kaminetski dreamed of the day when American Jews wold respect Erev Shabbos Kodesh.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home