Powered by WebAds

Sunday, June 05, 2005

More Yeshiva Rants

In a follow-up to my rant about my kids' school, I have another good one.

I understand that my kids' Yeshiva will not take a position on Zionism, and therefore do not send a delegation to the Israeli Day Parade. I don't even expect them to give the kids a day off from school to attend. But I DO have a problem with their scheduling a play, that parents and grandparents are expected to attend, on the Sunday of the parade. Fine, make the decision that the students who attend your Yeshiva will not be attending the parade. But why make that decision for everyone else in their families?

The interesting wrinkle is, I'm not even sure the Yeshiva was aware that there WAS a parade today when they originally scheduled the event. I don't even think that the parade is on the Yeshiva's radar.

What I can't figure out is, does that mitigate the crime, or make it worse?

Update: Those who were present reported that the play ended early enough for the attendees to make it to the parade if they so desired. No word, though, on how many parents from the Yeshiva actually went, but that is a rant best left for another day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YDT has pulled this stunt in the past.One year they had the bikeathon on the day of the parade.
Siach also has a hachnossas sefer torah scheduled for today.

3:32 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Yeah, but I heard that the event ended early enough for those who attended to make it to the parade. How many actually WENT to the parade is anyone's guess, though.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For better or worse if you send a kid to YDT-you get a typical at best Agudah position vthat the state is at best matzui rather that razu.
Interesting does any teacher in any of the Far Rock 5 Towns day schools believe in a MO position. I believe except for a couple of principals who had no choice not a single HAFTR teacher started their kids at HAFTR. There is 1 elementary school teacher there who changed her kids from South Shore and TAG to HAFTR-but in general if they live in the neighborhood Darchei is their school.








f

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On your original 'rant' (which you linked, one of the posters said about his Y education:"The result was an unusual situation where I was allowed to float year to year with no one taking the time to notice that I could barely read a line of Chumash when i graduated HS."
----- that situation is not unusual at all. I see more than a dozen students a year who have been in yeshivot for 8 - 10 years applying for entry to my school who cannot read a line of Chumash. What they have in common are excellent report cards ........

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeshiva Principal: and do they learn how to read a siddur by the time they finish bshanim YHS?
What % of those who enter Yeshiva day schools at K can read chumash and translate it 13 years later never mind Gemorah.
The Art Scroll Revolution has increase am haratzut-oh of course I'm sure you're publishing chidusheit torah by HS kids-on Rav Chaims etc-when they can't translate a Blatt Gmarrah-same hypocricy as science projects.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have a question, Orthomom - is there a yeshiva or day school anywhere near you that is actively Zionist, and send their kids to the parade? What else does the school teach about Israel? Or does it just ignore the topic?

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home