Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Memorial Day Thoughts

This post from DovBear got me thinking. Memorial Day means different things to different people. Some people treat Memorial Day as a huge shopping extravaganza. (I mean, who doesn't love a blowout sale?) For others, Memorial Day is the day that marks the beginning of summer. Barbeques and swimming, beach openings, you know just what I'm talking about. For some, it's a quiet day off from work or school to relax and enjoy.

The question is, do we, as Americans, have an obligation to reflect on and remember those in our armed forces who served and gave their lives for our country? I believe the answer to be yes.

To all those who say that these soldiers gave their lives so that we could enjoy the freedom of deciding NOT to memorialize them, you are correct. But you're wrong. We, as Americans, always have the freedom of choice to do the right thing. But why NOT do the right thing? Do we need to be told to be grateful to those who fight for our freedom? I hope not.

So enjoy your barbeques.
Enjoy your swimming and sunbathing.
Enjoy your baseball games.
Enjoy your shopping sprees.

But please, everyone, the least you can do is give a few moments of your day to those who gave up so much more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

Thought you might like these lyrics from Trace Adkins song, Arlington

I never thought that this is where I'd settle down
I thought I'd die an old man back in my hometown
They gave me this plot of land
Me and some other men for a job well done
There's a big white house
Sits on a hill just up the road
The man inside he cried the day they brought me home
They folded up a flag and told my Mom and Dad
We're proud of your son

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property
I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company
I'm thankful for those things I've done
I can rest in peice, I'm one of the chosen ones
I made it to Arlington

I remember Daddy brought me here when I was eight
We searched all day to find out where my Granddad lay
And when we finally found that cross
He said, son, this is what it cost to keep us free
Now here I am a thousand stones away from him
He reconized me on the first day I came in
And it gave me a chill when he clicked his heels and saluted me

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful peice of property
I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company
I'm thankful for those things I've done
I can rest in peice, I'm one of the chosen ones
I made it to Arlington

And everytime I hear twenty-one guns
I know they brought another hero home to us

We're thankful for those thankful for the things we've done
We can rest in peace, 'cause we are the chosen ones
We made it to Arlington, yeah, dust to dust
Don't cry for us, we made it to Arlington

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a very intersting blog.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I haven't any word to welcome this post.....Really i am inspired from this post....the individual who make this post it was an awesome human..thanks for imparted this to us. See Instagram photos and videos from 'Pictaram' hashtag.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home