Powered by WebAds

Friday, July 29, 2005

Procrastination Pageant

You know how they have pageants, where people compete for awards like, Prom Queen, Corn Queen, Rodeo Queen, and so on? Well, today I win the pageant for Procrastination Queen. No, not at work, though I haven't been as productive as I would like. I'm talking about my preparations for Shabbos. I, OrthoMom, (some Mom I am!) at 10:30 AM, on Friday, July 29th, have not even gone shopping for Shabbos yet.
Nothing.
I haven't ordered.
I haven't even made my shopping list.
I don't seem to be the only one , either. But at least RenReb has a migraine. (I'm sorry for her, but hey, it's an excuse!) And Shifra has a broken oven. I, on the other hand, have no chicken, no meat, no potatoes, no challahs, and no good excuse. I also have a problem. I have never taken food out for Shabbos. I mean, I have taken out things here or there, like deli meats, cole slaw, etc. But I have never bought an entire Shabbos worth of food from the deli counter of my kosher supermarket in ten years of marriage. No small feat for a working mother, I guess. But this balmy Friday morning, my laziness is making me wish I had acclimated my family a bit more to the taste of take-out food. Instead, I'm a victim of my own overachieving nature. The funny thing is, I am so spoiled here in the Five Towns of Long Island. I live in a neighborhood where the options for kosher takeout abound. I could walk in to any of 10 different places today, wait on line, and with one order, be competely done with my preparations for Shabbos. If OrthoDad were reading this, he'd be saying, "So, why don't you???". But he knows me too well. So I'm off to the supermarket, to shop for my ingredients, so I can then spend hours in the kitchen preparing for my family. Call me crazy. Or call it a labor of love.
Later!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a labor of love. I also live in a city where there is plenty of take-out available but I prefer my own cooking.

10:59 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

I also prefer to eat my own cooking. I just don't actually prefer DOING my own cooking! But thanks for affirming my feelings, Essie! I don't feel like such a (as my husband puts it)martyr now.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! You may win the procrastination queen award, but not the laziness award. I win that one. I took out everything. from soup to nuts. So Procrastination Queen, allow me to introduce myself. I'm the Laziness Queen.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, OrthoMom, (some Mom I am!) at 10:30 AM, on Friday, June 29th, have not even gone shopping for Shabbos yet.

Wow. You really do procrastinate! Your family is still waiting for a Shabbos from 2001!

Do you want some quickie recipes? When I was still a student, I had more than my share of oh-crap-it's-noon-on-Friday moments.

11:34 AM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Oh, good point, Shanna. LOL! Fixed.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight's meeting of Procrastinator's Anonymous has been postponed...
Maybe tomorrow?

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I love to hear a little more about your life. All politics and no life stories makes orthomom a dull read. Not that youre ever dull, of course, but this stuff is fun too!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I am the Procrastination King! (in addition to being the Goblin King)

Or will i have to fight OrthoDad for that title?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I hope that you don't respond until you're finished cooking but I've been wondering about this one for a while now: Is it more common for people in your neighborhood, OM, to serve take-out food for Shabbos or to serve home-made food? Obviously making sweeping generalizations is dangerous but walking into Supersol on a Thursday night or Friday morning seeing the boxes waiting to be delivered, I've always wondered whether "the labor of love" is not as loved by you as it is in other communities. (What gets me the most is the pre-sliced melon which costs as much as two or three whole ones!)

12:59 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Steg:
Nah, OrthoDad's not a procrastinator. The title is yours!
Michael:
I really don't know any people in my immediate circle who take out instead of cook homemade food for Shabbos. Buying the presliced melon is quite common, though. Especially for those of us who work.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home