Powered by WebAds

Friday, August 05, 2005

Another Erev Shabbos Rant

Lucky me. I know I ranted last week about having to shop and cook for Shabbos. So imagine how delighted I should be to have gotten an invitation to go away for the weekend. Unfortunately, the ingrate that is OrthoMom is sitting here, looking a gift horse in the mouth. Am I rejoicing the fact that I don't have to walk the aisles of a crowded supermarket, fighting with other women and their screaming spawn for the last whole wheat everything pull-apart challah? (Thank you, Five Towns, for creating a market for this one of a plethora of gourmet challah choices). Not to mention waiting for the occasional man who is blocking the aisle with his cart, while he tries to decipher a shopping list with a lost look on his face that makes me want to call an "Amber Alert".
No.
Am I thanking my lucky stars for the fact that I do not have to spend hours in a hot kitchen peeling potatoes, cleaning chickens, boiling noodles, checking egg after egg for blood spots?
Not I.
Instead, the Procrastination Queen is sitting here, bemoaning the fact that I have to drag out the suitcases, and pack for myself and four children. Feeling sorry for myself that I have to drag the portable crib out of the storage room and put it in the car. Making myself miserable that I have to come back on Saturday night with a bag full of laundry that I will have to leave in a pile due to the start of the 9 Days. Dreading the middle of the night when I will almost certainly be walking the floors with a child in my arms, trying to keep my baby from waking up the rest of the household.

Some people just can't figure out what they really want. Know anyone like that?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You COULD mail order your challah in advance.... http://www.vitalvittles.com/ShopOnline.html

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention waiting for the occasional man who is blocking the aisle with his cart, while he tries to decipher a shopping list with a lost look on his face that makes me want to call an "Amber Alert".

Haha. I must own up to being that man.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely think shlepping the kids away for shabas is harder than cooking. Especially if you have a baby who doesnt sleep well. When my kids were babies I never went away if I could help it. I would rather have had a housefull of company than taken my kids somewhere.

12:24 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

http://amshinover.blogspot.com/2005/08/gut-shabusgut-shabus.html

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. I'd be complaining too. (Seriously. No sarcasm. I mean it. Dammit, WHY CAN'T I SOUND GENUINE HERE?)

But as for the whole-wheat pull-apart challah...make your own. It's easier than driving yourself crazy looking for one, and tastes better too. :)

2:56 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Shanna:
Some of us have lost that ability to comment without it being misread as sarcasm. Can't imagine why.

3:52 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

checking egg after egg for blood spots?---

What are you cooking??

4:01 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

checking egg after egg for blood spots?---

What are you cooking??

4:01 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

checking egg after egg for blood spots?---

What are you cooking??

4:01 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Wow, DB, when you say it three times like that it really does make it seem like a lot of eggs...

4:22 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

How did that happen?

Anyway, why so many eggs? In the DovBear household, no eggs are shattered on Friday afternoon. Is is because you're a kugel-loving household?

5:37 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Yup. It's all in the kugels. Three different flavors. I aim to please.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home