Powered by WebAds

Thursday, February 23, 2006

NYU is #1

Interesting survey done by Hillel, on the schools with the largest numbers of Jewish Students. The largest overall, of both private and public universities, is New York University, with 6,500. Actually, according to NYU's estimates, the total number of Jewish students enrolled in both the undergraduate and graduate programs is around 12,500 - which is almost 1/3 of the student body. Dat's a lotta Jews.

Obviously, New York City's large Jewish demographic is a huge part of the city's identity, and I am sure that is a big draw to Jewish university applicants, especially ones that come from locales with smaller Jewish populations. From the Washington Square News:
CAS freshman David Gromet said he came to NYU and New York City for their large Jewish communities, even though he does not participate in the Bronfman Center’s activities and services.

“Coming from a place where there was a fair amount of stigma attached to being Jewish, more so than New York, was definitely a reason that I came here — to just be able to be who I am without having to constantly justify myself or be a representative of my religion,” Gromet said.
The survey reports that NYU's Orthodox population has grown as well, tripling in recent years to a number of 300. This is, I'm sure, due to the services offered both by the University itself, as well as the huge number of resources such as kosher restaurants and synagogues that are available in the New York Metropolitan area.
“For 300 Orthodox students who keep strict kosher Shabbat rules and pray regularly, going to a college with no kosher facility or Orthodox services is virtually a nonoption,” Sarna said. “There are only 15 or so private [colleges] which have orthodox communities.”

NYU has steadily been increasing its Kosher dining options and recently revised the salad bar and meal options with the help of student input, Pines said.
Who thought that NYU would win the prize for being even Jewier than YU?

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so 2 weeks ago - it was top news published 2 weeks ago about nyu having the largest jewish student population of any school .

1:12 PM  
Blogger Zoe Strickman said...

it is still good to know.

1:18 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Anonymous said...

this is so 2 weeks ago - it was top news published 2 weeks ago about nyu having the largest jewish student population of any school .


Damn. I am just soooo two weeks ago.

1:25 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Actually, the date the Hillel Press Release went out was the 16th, which makes me only about sooo a week ago. Whew.

1:43 PM  
Blogger bluke said...

All I know is when I went there (not so long ago) school started on Rosh Hashana and one of my (Jewish) Professors had absolutley no sympathy for my missing classes for Yom Tov.m

2:17 PM  
Blogger MUST Gum Addict said...

I teach at NYU (continuing ed) and was always pleased with how understanding the administration was when it came to working around shabbos and yom tovim (many continuing ed classes are given over weekends).

Now I know why :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Charlie Hall said...

Didn't Richard Joel attend NYU?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Secular colleges in the area are getting smarter: Queens College has been advertising on OnlySimchas, of all places.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Charlie Hall said...

An essay by the rabbi at NYU:

http://www.edah.org/sarna.cfm

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know is when I went there (not so long ago) school started on Rosh Hashana and one of my (Jewish) Professors had absolutley no sympathy for my missing classes for Yom Tov.

And when I went there for graduate work (also not so long ago--at least to me!), there were classes on Succoth, right at the very start of the semester. On the other hand, the professors were furious--on my behalf!--which made me feel supported by the faculty if not the administration.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Charlie Hall said...

The Tisch family have been big supporters of NYU -- and Artscroll! Unfortunately much of the family's wealth comes from a tobacco company.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

My in-laws just spent a Shabbos (I believe my FIL was a scholar in residence) at Binghamton - apparently, 1/3 of the student body there is Jewish as well. It's sad to realize how many will likely be lost.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

For 300 Orthodox students who keep strict kosher Shabbat rules and pray regularly, going to a college with no kosher facility or Orthodox services is virtually a nonoption

In NYC, this isn't entirely true.

12:28 PM  
Blogger NG said...

Yes, Richard Joel did attend NYU. At the 2001 GA in Washington, DC, Richard Joel sang for me the NYU alma mater. I was an NYU undergrad at the time and had never heard the alma mater before. The whole thing was odd and creepy.

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home