Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'm Back

It has become painfully obvious that it is impossible to win fully a war with an enemy that embeds itself among civilians. When I say "fully", I mean win on all fronts - the military front as well as the PR one. But we are truly in a bad place. I think everyone prays that the cease-fire is the answer to the bloodshed that had been going on on both sides of the border. I am still unable to compute the terms of the agreement, however. Two Israeli soldiers were kidnapped. Israel goes to war. Shows a modicum of strength by declaring that she would not back down until the missing soldiers are recovered. Then agrees to a cease-fire that does not incluse any provisions to have the soldiers returned - not even a condition to have them seen by an impartial party, such as the Red Cross?

I. Don't. Understand.

Don't get me wrong. I am far from sure that continuing force would have been the answer here - I had no clarity that it was the best response at the start of this war either. But I can't help thinking that there has to be a decision made, one way or the other, and that it must be stuck to. Decide to attempt to handle the hostage situation diplomatically? Not sure it can be done - but do so. Decide to go to war, and declare that your soldiers will not back down until they recover their kidnapped brothers? Do so. But this...this just makes us look alternately bullying and weak.

My heart goes out to the families of the kidnapped soldiers who must feel hope slipping away. My heart goes out to the families of the soldiers who sied in this war, who must feel frustrated in their grief at the lack of resolution their sons' heroism and ultimate sacrifice was able to bring about.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back.

As to your post, I was shocked to not even see a mention of this central fact in the Times coverage today and yesterday. It's as if we are living in an alternate reality.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure (hope I'm wrong) they're dead

10:41 PM  
Blogger YMedad said...

Welcome back

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is happening here
can someone tell me

Iranian, Syrian Strongmen Try to Dilute Hopes for Peace in Mideast

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site management training ireland On line accounting degrees rosacea erythema treat foot+fetish+philly Avapro medication police management schools for chiefs of police Play vegas slots free management training diversity training store onlin Domain nesteggs Individual health insurance quotes site en.wikipedia.org latin radio stations in phoenix Lamborghini kit car in ca

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home